What is the best way to reduce noise/jitter when I was using Power over Ethernet from router through tp-link av1200 to tp-link switch then to bluesound node 2?
My tp-link switch is power by linear power supply and I’m using wireworld chroma CAT8 from switch to BSN2.
I have search several options:
1. Using fiber optic converter tp-link MC200MC. It is only for short distance 1m. Total cost USD400 including fiber optic cable, SFP and linear power supply for media converter. 2. Gigafoilv4. Total cost USD600 including LPS. 3. Acoustic Revive LAN isolator RLI-1. Total cost USD250.
POE is not a good solution for low noise on Ethernet. Noise on Ethernet will cause errors in the data recovery process which means the host will have to retransmit the data.
Understand Jitter a little better as well. Audio related Jitter errors are ones by the design of the interface, controller and the DAC chip and how the audio oscillators are powered and the quality of the oscillators (crystals).
While yes there is jitter in any digital interface and this will cause data errors it’s a bit different from audio related jitter errors.
Also don’t confuse jitter with the quality of your sound system. There are a boat load of other problems you are faced with in a Computer Audio system. Such as:
- Software, host app, controller firmware etc.
- Storage file access, priority of access, file formats (flat vs packed [FLAC/ALAC])
- Interface, interface protocol, cabling
- Power, could dedicate a whole thread to that alone
- System, remember all the above constitutes a system you listen too, SETUP!
I did a boat load of testing on USB over the years. Why do host application sound different and so forth. Why do cables make a difference. Why does where your files, file types and so forth make a difference. Power, power isolation, system isolation, mains and so forth.
Look we live in a RFI/EMI mine field now. Power alone may make all the difference in the world. It all depends on how you setup your system.
I have no choice to use POE since I can’t lay Ethernet cable from ground floor to 2nd floor where the router is at ground floor. I heard the difference when stream from my NAS which connected to same switch as BSN2. The SQ is so much better than streaming from Tidal.
I understand that power isolation can improve SQ. My next plan to purchase isolation transformer for whole audio system.
Power is the devil…just kidding! We are using a late 19th/early 20th century power distribution system in the 21st century. Just about every problem I have with solid state lighting can be tracked to crappy power supplies. It’s got to be way worse for audio.
That Richard Feynman chat about light (and radio) waves in the other thread was from 1982. Imagine what he would say today. “The inevitable nature of nature…because it’s all just there, don’tcha know!” I just love that guy…